Filling for children: Some children are simply more prone to tooth decay than others – here’s what you can do about it.
The problem of tooth decay in children isn’t always as clear-cut as we’d like to think. Many parents follow the oral health rulebook to the letter, ensuring their child brushes properly twice a day and limiting sugar in their diet – only to discover at the dentist that their child has cavities.
It can feel mortifying – not to mention completely unfair, especially when other children get away with eating far too much sugar and still enjoy healthy, happy smiles.
The fact is that some children are simply more vulnerable to cavities than others – statistics show that 80 percent of all cavities occur in just 25 percent of children aged 2-5. The reason all comes down to mutans streptococcus – the harmful bacteria in the mouth that cause tooth decay. Babies aren’t born with it, but mutants can be very easily transferred from a cavity-prone parent to their child – through sharing spoons or toothbrushes, for example. Once the baby’s mouth is colonized, cavities become a very likely consequence.
So what can parents do about children Filling?
- Take control. Your dental health can affect your child, so the first thing to do is establish your own oral hygiene routine that will limit the amount of harmful bacteria in your mouth.
- Be vigilant. Just as you would if you had a family history of high cholesterol or skin cancer, you need to be extra careful about your child’s oral health, maintaining a robust brushing and flossing routine and reducing the amount of sugar in their diet.
- Bring babies to the dentist – ideally as young as 6 months. A pediatric dentist like Lancaster Dental will conduct a full risk assessment and ensure the baby’s mouth is free of plaque-causing bacteria. Then we’ll advise parents on how to look after those precious first teeth.
- Be fluoride-aware. If your child is at a higher risk of cavities, Lancaster Dental will recommend preventive measures such as fluoride varnish and fissure sealants. We’ll prescribe the right toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste for your child, and educate the whole family on the best cleaning techniques. Finally, we’ll help with diet and nutrition, making sure parents know about hidden sugars, balanced meals, snacking, and fluoridated water.
- Place your trust in us. A pediatric dentist like Lancaster Dental can offer personalized continuity of care as your child grows up. And if your child needs a filling, rest assured we have the most advanced technologies in place to treat children quickly in a fun, fear-free environment. Because we focus on building long-term relationships with our patients, we can boost compliance and foster confidence in preventing cavities.
We love our patients and love to help them form a healthy dental life that will last them a lifetime. Lancaster Dental is a dental clinic in Lancaster, Bellaire Acres, Westridge, Lancaster North, and Ten Mile Creek Neighborhood we have the best dental services in Texas: General & Cosmetic Dentistry, Crowns & Bridges, Dental Implants, Emergency Services, Teeth Whitening, Pediatric Dentistry, Braces & Invisalign For more information call us to answer all of your questions so you can get an appointment today.